Florida boasts pristine coastlines and endless waterways, which attract many boat enthusiasts. Unfortunately, many individuals operate vessels under the influence of alcohol or drugs that could result in arrests. Have you been charged with BUI lately? Call an experienced Miami BUI lawyer right away! At our firm, we understand BUI completely, so we know how to navigate your case.
Florida BUI Laws
Under the Florida statutes, boating under the influence is covered in Section 327.35. An individual who operates a watercraft under the influence of alcohol or any chemical substance covered in §877.111 or any controlled substance stated in chapter 893. He or she is considered under the influence if their normal faculties are impaired or when the blood alcohol content is 0.08% or greater.
Unlike driving under the influence (DUI) that police need probable cause to stop you on the road, the authorities don’t need any reasons to stop you in the water to make sure you are complying with the regulations and standards on vessel operation. They can stop you if they think you are speeding, or simply inspect your equipment, check your compliance with fishing, or ensure you have your safety registration on board. Once they’re on your boat, they will ask you for a hand-held breath test, sobriety exercises, or take a chemical test through blood, breath, or urine. Right there and then, they can arrest you for BUI.
What are the Penalties for BUI in Florida?
On a first conviction, the penalties for boating under the influence include:
- Maximum of six months in jail
- Fines between $500 and $1,000
The penalties for BUI second conviction are:
- Maximum of nine months in jail
- Fines between $1,000 to $2,000
In case of a third BUI conviction within ten years of a prior conviction, the person is guilty of committing a third-degree felony, which is punishable by:
- Up to 12 months imprisonment
- Fines between $2,000 to $5,000
Benefits of Hiring BUI Lawyers
Although your breath test showed that you exceeded the legal limit, it doesn’t mean that you will be convicted immediately. That is why you need an expert lawyer to challenge the evidence against you. With our seasoned and professional BUI attorneys, we will plan and implement effective defenses that may apply to your BUI case.
While some would think that they can represent themselves in court to save money from hiring a lawyer, retaining an attorney is the best decision. Here are the reasons why:
- We are well-versed with the legal process, especially with BUI cases, that you might not be familiar with.
- Experienced lawyers like us would know if we can win a case because we have been to countless trials with the same cases, though we customize our defenses depending on your situation.
- Being in the legal field for many years now, we have worked with various defense attorneys, and we have a vast understanding of how to counterattack their schemes.
- As skillful lawyers, our Miami BUI legal team will handle documentation and paper works for you. We will also guide you with the process from the start until the end of your case.
- Unlike others, we will act not only as your adviser who will show you the best options for your BUI case but also your confidante in these challenging times. You don’t have to worry about telling everything to us because we assure you that they will be kept confidential.
Miami DUI Lawyer Group
1767 Northwest 79th Avenue
Miami, FL 33126